MIPER Program Objectives
The objective of the Graduate Program in the LAIS Division will be to develop students’ analytical skills on issues related to:
- The interaction between resources and economic and political development.
- Regional and global security as it affects the resource industries.
- Political risks corporations face when expanding abroad.
- International trade and investment flows and resource production and consumption.
- International organizations, such as the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund, and regional integration agreements, such as the European Union, Association of Southeast Asian Nations, and the Southern African Development Community.
Residing in the Division of Liberal Arts & International Studies, the graduate program incorporates culture into IPE analysis. Culture defines the perimeters of society, informs political and economic activities and institutions, and even shapes inter-state relations with close and distant neighbors. This cultural component imparts new perspectives and increases the decision-making skills of our graduate students.